Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Libby: America the great

I went home the weekend before leaving for India and the resounding messag I heard from family and friends that I would come back just loving America. Yet, I think we both failed to realize that this is a Human rights class. As of today, I don't think I will be coming home with pride in my heart for America. If anything, this trip has really helped to illuminate problems we as Americans have within ourselves and with how we treat the greater world community. The world looks to America for guidance and leadership. What do we do with this attention? Nothing that benefits the most. We'd rather just benefit the few. Because of this, I am not sure that I will come back home with a renewed appreciation for America. Though I will value what I have, the impact of how I live will always be in the back of my mind. "The greatest failure there is in American society is our lack of thinking about human rights," was a comment made during our class reflection two nights ago. I would agree with this statement. It's time to stop thinking so much about me and how others benefit me. It's time to start focusing on how I can benefit the world. I think I'll start by promoting human rights at home.

1 comment:

  1. It's easy to talk the talk Libby, I really hope you put words into action.

    ReplyDelete