Saturday, March 9, 2013

Impressions

From Shawnalee:

Before coming to India, I had mixed emotions. I was eager to see how the other half of the world lives and all of the wonders that India had to offer. At the same time I felt somber towards the idea of experiencing the poverty throughout the country. I knew that nothing would prepare me for the injustice we would encounter. Though I am not too familiar with the Hinduism religion, I had the perspective that how the Dahlits or the "untouchables" lived their lives was their fate. Now seeing first hand, I have changed my perspective. I believe that it is a form of oppression and their lives have been an example of how knowledge can be power. Though, I'm not sure if they are truly empowered to better their lives or circumstances allow them too. India has been absolutely magnificent yet humbling at the same time. The culture is very rich and this trip has fortunately taken me beyond me comfort zone. I'm looking forward to the days to come and reflecting on what we have encountered in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment